The Goal of Creating Lifetime Patients
- Posted on: Apr 3 2017
Patient retention equals loyalty:
For any medical practice or medspa to grow its net worth year over year, several basic principles hold true. Study after study have shown that it is much more cost effective for a business to retain current clients than it is to actively market for new ones. The marketing plan and budget can include many different areas of promotion: internet, social media, print, television, radio, billboards, and custom in-office educational loops, etc. The value of a good marketing strategy cannot be minimized; however, many practices find themselves in the position of potentially neglecting current patients as they seek out new ones. We believe practices must divide their efforts between both patient retention and new patient inflow to achieve the greatest success.
Improving your retention rate and ensuring each patient becomes a “lifetime” patient:
1. Share your mission/vision with your team, and make sure that every employee understands that they are representing your practice in every interaction they have with patients.
2. Never underestimate the power of a smile and a sincere “Thank you.” Remember that patients like to feel appreciated. Whether in person, over the phone, email/text or a written note, take the opportunity to build a bond at each “touch point.”
3. Collect patient feedback. Beautifully Profitable, Forever Profitable quotes a study from NORC Center for Public Affairs Research. “Of all the responses, 63% of the patients’ answers had to do with communication and caring, while only 25% had to do with training, education, and expertise. Patients want to be heard, and they want to know that their practitioners are listening, and that their doctors really care about them.”
4. Set a standard of excellence. Patients must feel they are always right.
Stand behind every procedure, every product, and every service. Establish protocol for handling any issues that arise. The staff should feel that they have authority to make decisions to establish happy patients.
5. Remember the little things. Make notes in your CRM system of patients’ anniversaries, birthdays, special occasions, and holidays, etc. Encourage the staff to treat each patient individually and to remember the small details. Thank them for their loyalty as often as possible. Be creative and do something to make them feel special example: send flowers or personalized cards on their birthdays!
6. Create Magic. It’s a groundbreaking concept if implemented properly. View your office from a new patient perspective. Does it need a facelift? From comfortable seating to private areas. Attractive décor in your restrooms. A warm welcoming Front Desk smile to a personalized and caring experience with the clinical staff. These are important details that will set you apart from the competition and ensure patient retention and patient referrals!
For more advice on defining your practice’s points of difference and setting standards of excellence, visit our website at www.beautifulforever.com and follow us on Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn. Beautifully Profitable/ Profitable Forever book is a great reference guide. Find it on Amazon.com